Wednesday 29 May 2013

RT Booklovers Convention - Journey and pre-convention

It's a well documented fact that I hate to fly. So getting myself to the RT Booklovers Convention, involving not one but two planes, was an extreme test of willpower. I had the lot - travel pills, acupressure bands, crystals. Something worked, as the flights were not too bad - but then I do tend to settle down when I finally get on the plane. This may be related to 'Abandon hope all ye ...'
I was cheered up before that by finding a copy of Out of Sight Out of Mind in Smith's Travel in Heathrow. The shop assistant was very patient with my excited author ramblings. I believe I may have pressed one of my stash of book marks into her hand.

Those key cards!
Aeroplanes, and the fact of being awake, more or less, for 36 hours, had me hallucinating once I finally arrived at the hotel in Kansas City. It least I thought I was hallucinating, until I realised that the key card for the room did have a picture of a partially clothed man on it. My room was on the 29th floor - OK if I looked out, not so good looking down. I didn't do much looking at anything, just fell into bed.

Having flown all that way I was determined to get the most from the trip, so had signed on for the pre-convention tour. On Sunday morning the group had breakfast in the suite of RT founder and CEO Kathryn Falk, including delicious eggs from her own hens, followed by an orientation ramble around the hotel and conference centre and the surrounding mall, led by NY Times best selling author Cathy Maxwell supported by Cindy Nord - who will be assisting Kathryn in hosting a forthcoming tour of Austria - and a fabulous job they did. Some intrepid souls went on to see Tom Cruise on a very big cinema screen - I was too sleepy for that, or for dinner afterwards.

The whole 3 day tour was notable for some of the memorable sights of Kansas City and its surroundings. I most enjoyed, if that is the correct word, the Liberty Memorial/Museum to the troops of the First World War - with its
The WWI Memorial 
poignant glass bridge over a field of poppies, followed by the Truman Library - interesting to me as his term as President covered the period immediately after the one I am currently researching - World War II - except that I am looking at events from the perspective of Wales. The best thing about the tour though was the company - a group of ladies, and one stalwart gentleman. many of whom were celebrating milestones in their lives by attending the convention. Ladies, you know who you are. And you rock!


Dog eared books - plus cat. 
The very last stop on the tour was Dogeared books, a light and airy space with new and pre-owned books, and despite the name, a number of resident cats. They made us welcome with a reception and a signing by local authors.




NEXT INSTALMENT - THE CONFERENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment