Wednesday 26 October 2016

You and not you.

Having your books translated into another language is a strange experience. Something that has your name on it, but which you can't read. So you don't know exactly what is inside. 


My books are already in Italian, with interesting but somewhat different covers from the English language ones. And different titles too. Never Coming Home is Disappearance and Out of Sight Out of Mind is Lost Identity.

Now my publisher Choc-Lit has teamed up with Norwegian publisher Cappelen Damm, who will be launching Choc Lit in Norway in 2017. Cappelen Damm will be releasing nine Choc Lit titles in 2017 with roll out in to 2018. And Never Coming Home is one of them. It's exciting and an honour to be one of the ones chosen to be part of this, and I'm really looking forward to seeing my first cover in Norwegian. Still won't be able to read what's inside though!



7 comments:

  1. How wonderful even if you cannot read them. Such a thrill. Many congrats and many more translations I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. It is exciting - I'll be posting again when I get my Norwegian cover, you can be sure!

      Delete
  2. Hello Evonne, I am the Italian translator of Out of Sight Out of Mind! Titles are often quite difficult to translate: in this case a literal translation wouldn't convey the same idea. Plus, English is very synthetic and "clipped", we don't have the same possibility with Italian. I know it should feel strange for you... Hope you are not disappointed. Kind regards, Paola Vitale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paola. How lovely to hear from you. Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sure you did a great job! I have a friend who is a translator, so I know something about the art that has to go into recreating the book in a different language. As you understand, it does feel strange :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Evonne, hope to translate also some other novel of yours. Are you writing anything new?
    p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a gap for personal reasons. The next thing will be a rom-com novella - I'm branching out, but I hope there will be another romantic suspense on the way next year. :)

      Delete